Friday, May 21, 2010

Wanna be a Boholano Lawyer?

This new post is about my experience with some lawyers here in Bohol. I learned few days before the election that the IBP-BOHOL (Integrated Bar of the Philippines - Bohol Chapter) was supporting Noynoy. (Gosh! What a jerk!) I cannot imagine a group of people considered "intellectuals" would support and opt for a man who has done nothing to our country except for clinging with him the surname of two great Filipinos (Ninoy and Cory). Would you believe that "Kung walang corrupt, walang mahirap"? I don't think so! How would you be able to fight corruption when it is rooted even to our children today? Just to give you an example of a little corruption that I believe all of us are guilty of - (I experienced this personally) We were asked to sign a payroll by the Regional and National personnel of the COMELEC for our honorarium in one of the seminars I was able to attend to even without an amount written on the payroll. This is indeed a manifestation of corruption. This is DISHONESTY! Have you not been dishonest? (Of course, I did not just sign but I also wrote the amount I received.) But there were several attendees already who have signed and went home. Another instance wherein I was able to witness another manifestation of corruption was when I went to our Provincial Agriculture's Office one morning, I saw an old employee of PAO who came early morning wearing his home clothes and log in for his day's attendance then went out and drove home. (What a bad example!) This is again corruption! So to all the Boholano lawyers (special mention - Atty. Inting) who were dying to support Noynoy to be the next president, can your Noynoy fight the said Corrupt and Corruption? I bet my life, he cannot! So why Boholano Lawyers and the other lawyers support Noynoy? (Mmm, smells fishy!)

Another bad experienced I've got with Boholano Lawyers was when I was asked to serve something for them. I was totally a jerk to believe to the two lawyers I've met. They've asked for my expertise and after rendering to them my services they have not compensated me. I was able to spend P1000 pesos for my fare and the lawyer who asked me to go where I was heading did not reimbursed my expenses. He promised me that he will reimburse my fare and other incidental expenses. Another was I rendered my expertise as required by that lawyer but until now I have not receive my pay. My dear attorney even said he don't know when can I receive my pay. He is implying it is beyond his capability to assure me when. Are these the kind of lawyers we've got in Bohol? Should we not believe them or should they be men to rely on?

Lastly, allow me to share another sad reality about lawyers in the Philippines. My father-in-law told me about what he experienced when he went to Sandiganbayan to appear as a witness in one of the cases filed in the said court. He said that our justice system is a justice system for the rich alone. He said that in every appearance in Sandiganbayan, you (as defendant) will have to pay at least P40,000. What a business our lawyers are making! This is indeed an unjust system. So for Noynoy, this is I believe the first thing you need to handle first.

I can't accept these things! In the U.S. once you are involved as the suspect in a civil or criminal case, you are considered as NOT GUILTY. They are yet to prove that you are guilty. Thus the jury will have to see if you are guilty. But here in the Philippines, once you are the suspect in a case, you are already GUILTLY. You need to prove that you are not guilty. Thus, you will need a lawyer and witnesses that you are not guilty. What a distorted system, isn't it?

I believe this can be corrected still. And I truly believe that we, Boholanos, can correct this system. So, I hope this post can reach the Boholano Lawyers. Boholanos for me are the most honest and righteous Filipinos. Don't think my dear "Nyors", "Companeras/ros" that you only knew the law and the things to be done. We, other professionals, know too about what are the right things to be done, what is the law and what are our rights.

PS

I thinking of taking up law this year, so that no one will belittle me (not a good motivation, isn't it?) or so that I can help the ordinary people to understand the proper things to do and the law and so that no one will belittle them.

(What can you say about my plans?)

No comments:

Post a Comment